Manmohan and Modi, Gujarat has not progressed beyond 16 years in textile exports

Manmohan from 2006 and Modi from 2014, Gujarat has not progressed beyond 16 years in textile exports

Gandhinagar, 27 August 2022

Cotton pieces from Gujarat have been found in tombs at Fustat – Pyramid of Egypt, indicating the existence of Indian textile exports to Egypt in the medieval era. Cotton evidences are found in Dholavira and Lothal since 5000 years. The cotton industry has been around since then.

The ‘Federation of Gujarat Weavers Welfare Association’ (FOGWA) organized ‘Vibrant Weavers Expo-2022’ in Surat on 26 August 2022.

Gujarat in the country’s garment industry
Gujarat accounts for 12 per cent of the country’s total apparel exports. Man-made fiber accounts for 38 percent of the production. Surat accounts for 50 percent of the production of art silk fabrics in the country.

2007 Vibrant Gujarat
In 2008, the Modi government gave details of the murder in Vibrant Gujarat, saying that Surat contributed 12 percent of the national textile exports; Surat produces more than 40 percent of the country’s art-silk cloth.

In Gujarat in 2007, more than 35 percent of the cloth was produced in the organized sector and 25 percent in the decentralized power loom sector. Arvind Mills was Asia’s largest denim manufacturer in Gujarat.

Highest number of state-owned looms for cotton and man-made fibers (6,888 as on March 31, 2006); Second largest number of privately owned looms (11,963 as on March 31, 2006). was

Cotton/man-made fiber mills had 3 million spindles. Cotton/man-made fiber mills had 493 million spindles.

Gujarat is known as the “Textile State of India”. Contributes to 28% of the textile production. The “Gujarat Apparel and Apparel Policy” has added to the attractiveness of the state.

Skill development in the Indian textile and apparel industry is a challenge due to its labor intensive nature.
The Indian apparel industry suffers a loss of about 14% due to labor shortage in apparel. Only 7% of the textile units provide skill training.

The Indian textile and apparel industry is worth $139 billion. $300 billion by 2025.

Hospitality is also present with exports accounting for about 13% of the total exports. With abundant availability of raw materials like cotton, wool, silk, jute etc. and a conducive macro-environment, India is the destination of choice for global retail brands.

After the diamond industry in Surat, Diamond City has the largest man-made textile sector in the country.

What happened in 2013?
According to a US Department of Commerce report, the USA imported textiles and apparel worth $104 billion in 2013. Surat used to weave 30 million meters of cloth daily. The annual output of fabric is 9 billion meters. In a country where Rs. The total production of polyester fabric contributes Rs 30,000 crore. Sarees and dress materials accounted for 90 per cent of the textile production.

China accounted for 39.79 percent of all US textile and apparel imports in 2013. Which was $ 41.673 billion. During the year Vietnam was the top five suppliers of textiles and clothing to the United States at 8.38 percent, India at 6.01 percent, Indonesia at 4.99 percent and Bangladesh at 4.87 percent. From Surat to Pakistan, West Asia and America, about Rs. Export of non-apparel fabric worth Rs 1,100 crore.

Two decades ago during the 5-year BJP rule, the number of small and micro industries in the state was 2.74 lakh. 8.66 lakh in 2022.

In 2015, Gujarat accounted for 34 percent of India’s petroleum products production and 27 percent of chemicals and pharma. In engineering industries it is 9.3 percent, food and processing 8.7 percent, textile and apparel 6.9 percent. In Gems and Gujarat Jewelery sector, Gujarat accounts for 80 percent of processed diamonds and 90 percent of diamonds exported from India.

Industrial production in Gujarat was 2.27 lakh crore two decades ago. 16.19 lakh crore in 2022. With the help of new technology, new patterns and skill up-gradation, the textile industry of the state has been ahead. The textile weaving industry provides employment to the skilled and unskilled people of Gujarat on a very large scale.

Union Minister of State for Railways and Textiles Darshan Jardosh announced that Surat’s textile industry has produced 7.50 crore out of the 20 crore used in the country in the ‘Har Ghar Tiranga’ campaign.

The central government has implemented the schemes of man-made fiber, technical textile. Gujarat has been a leader in connectivity like road, train and port under the Mega Integrated Textile Region and Apparel Park in the country. 13 states have also agreed.

Surat’s textile industry has got a boost with modern technology-equipped weaving units and innovative varieties of fabrics.