Gujarat govt stopped buying wheat on support price, farmers suffered heavy losses in storm

bought only 1 percent of production
Gandhinagar, 21 May 2021

Farmers have suffered heavy losses in wheat due to the cyclone in the farm, Godown, agricultural market. How much loss has been incurred, Gujarat government is starting from today.

According to productivity in 2021, wheat was planted in 13.66 lakh hectares out of 3500 kg hectares. Wheat production in Gujarat is expected to be 45 to 48 lakh tonnes this year. Last year, the production was 43.12 lakh tonnes. Thus, 2.25 lakh tonnes of excess production has been done. Only 1 percent of the total product is purchased at the support price. Thus, 3% of the total production was to be purchased. The remaining 97 percent of the wheat has been sold or to be sold at a price below the support price in the private market.

The Gujarat government has decided to buy only 1.50 lakh tonnes of wheat at the support price this year. But more than 45,000 tonnes have not been procured so far. Thus, only 33 percent of purchases from farmers have been stopped. In such a situation, there is a lot of anger among the farmers.

The purchase of wheat has been discontinued till 21 May 2021. In other states, 25 percent more wheat has been procured than the total purchase. So far, 37.2 million tonnes of wheat has been procured in the country. Which was 30 million tonnes last year.

The storm and rain have soaked the wheat of thousands of farmers because the government did not buy. There has been a huge loss. The farmers believe that the government should give them compensation. Wheat was falling open in agricultural produce market committees. it’s all over. Thus the government has killed the farmers more than the delay.

The purchase was made by the Gujarat State Civil Supplies Corporation in its 235 warehouses. Which was suddenly stopped under the pretext of Corona.

In 1975, 100 kg of wheat was acquired. Last year the price was 1940. However, farmers can buy only 2400-2500 kg to 100 kg wheat.

In Gujarat, the Corona breaks down the unique Bhaliya wheat market system