Delhi, 04 SEP 2020
In the current season of Kharif 2020, record area of 1095.38 lakh ha has been covered. Sowing of rice still continues while sowing of pulses, coarse cereals, millets and oilseeds is almost over. There is no impact of COVID-19 on progress of area coverage under kharif crops as on date.
Union Minister of Agriculture & Farmers’ Welfare Shri Narendra Singh Tomar said that the timely prepositioning of inputs by Government of India like seeds, pesticides, fertilizers, machinery and credit has made it possible for large coverage even during pandemic lockdown conditions.Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers’ Welfare and State Governments have put all efforts in successful implementation of mission programs and flagship schemes. Shri Tomar said that credit goes to farmers for timely action and adoption of technologies and taking benefit of government schemes.
The final sowing figures for kharif season will be closed on 2nd October 2020.The status of sowing area coverage under Kharif crops is as follows:
- Rice:Sowing has been reported on 396.18 lakh ha compared to 365.92 lakh ha during the corresponding period of last year i.e. increase in area coverage by 8.27%.
- Pulses:Sowing on 136.79 lakh ha against 130.68 lakh ha area of last year i.e. increase in area coverage by 4.67%.
- Coarse Cereals:Coverage reported on 179.36 lakh ha area against 176.25 lakh ha area of last year i.e. increase in area coverage by 1.77%,
- Oilseeds:Sowing on 194.75 lakh ha area against 174.00 lakh ha area of last year i.e. area coverage increased by 11.93%,
- Sugarcane:Coverage reported on 52.38 lakh ha area against 51.71 lakh ha area of last year i.e. increase in area coverage by 1.30%
- Cotton:Area coverage reported on 128.95 lakh ha area against 124.90 lakh ha area of last year i.e. increase in area coverage by 3.24%
- Jute & Mesta:Coverage reported on 6.97 lakh ha area against 6.86 lakh ha area i.e. increase in area coverage by 1.68% reported in the country.
|Progress of area coverage under Kharif crops as on 04.09.2020|
|Crop||Area Sown in lakh ha||% Increase|
|6||Jute & Mesta||6.97||6.86||1.68|
As on 03.09.2020, actual rainfall received in the country is 795.0 mm against normal of 730.8 mm i.e. departure of (+)9% during the period from 01.06.2020 to 03.09.2020.
As reported by Central Water Commission, as on 03.09.2020, the live water storage available in 123 reservoirs in the country is 104% of live storage of corresponding period of last year and 120% of storage of average of last ten years.